August 11, 2013

Politics, Pandering and Public Engagement

Some time ago, former Mt. Pearl mayor and Tory cabinet minister Dave Denine wrote a letter to the editor encouraging citizens to run in September’s municipal elections. He spoke of effecting positive change in one’s community and the satisfaction of making a difference. The letter, coincidentally, comes after the Harris Centre’s seminar Engaging Citizens: The Power of Collaboration in Democracy. It examined why people were skipping elections in record numbers, why long-standing civic and social community institutions were dying off and how civic engagement could be restored.

I attended the seminar because I am considering becoming more involved in the community be it campaigning, volunteering and liking putting my name on the ballot. As a long-time resident, I don’t like the direction the town of Paradise has taken over the past 7 or 8 years. It’s growing too fast and basic infrastructure needs such as roads, traffic, water and sewer have not been adequately addressed. It appears that council continues to rezone land from rural to high-density residential in order to allow development after development. This despite the suggestion in the town’s Strategic Plan that Paradise stay away from being viewed as a large group of subdivisions. Fortunately, after much criticism from town residents, the plan was revised to include our own fire station. It’s not all bad of course, the town does have good job of snow clearing, public works is second to none, the recycling program has proven to be successful, and the recreational center is well used. But Paradise lacks a sense of community.

The rate of growth has to slow down; it is simply not sustainable. And the proposed development around Octagon Pond should be re-examined. Just look at what an eye sore the area around Neil’s Pond has become. The Octagon Pond development means more clear-cutting and 2600 new homes. It means less green space, a lot more traffic, and, perhaps, electoral defeat. The town has other needs as well: a new junior high school, more sidewalks and a pool. These will be hot button issues in the fall election campaign. At least they should be.

Rightly or wrongly, councillors in Paradise must know that they’re not the most popular people in town. Of course, there is no pleasing everyone but there seems to be a collective head shake whenever “the council” comes up in conversation. Online comments of any news story featuring Paradise reflect that contempt. Granted, I’m sure they are fine people who have stepped up to the plate, but there seems to be a feeling among many residents that the council collectively swung and missed.  People have had enough.  Does this mean they all should go? Not necessarily. I do have a great deal of respect for some councillors especially those who oppose unfettered development and are courteous enough to return an email or phone call. Others seem to have forgotten that they work for us.

But here’s the thing. Running, or even considering running, means pandering for votes - and money. However, kissing babies is one thing; kissing ass is another. Politicians should not lose sight of why they are running and whom they will represent. I found myself following people on twitter simply because they live here in Paradise, and it was somewhat distasteful to be honest. Retweeting events in town gives me mixed emotions since it might appear that I have an ulterior motive - which is closer to the truth than most politicians or want-to-be politicians would care to admit. Is this pandering? Perhaps, but I guess it’s part of the process.  They say politics is a dirty business. I’ve barely stuck my toe in the political ocean and I want to get a shower.

It’s not all bad, of course. Most people who run do care. As Denine suggested, they are willing to put their name on the ballot in hopes of making a difference. I know it takes a lot of work to get elected; knocking on doors, posting signs and shaking a lot of hands. Not to mention maintaining an online presence - in order to get your name and platform out there. But retweeting what a wonderful job the Ladies Auxiliary in Shoe Cove is doing, pandering for votes at retirement homes or going on Open Line to say you are against killing puppies is not only self-serving, it’s nauseating. Plus, I’m sure some people run for the remuneration or other self-interests; some simply love the spotlight and feeling of self-importance. Hopefully these people, regardless of community or district, are seen for what they are.

And that begs the question - would you run or become more engaged? I will likely run but to be honest, the more I see, the less I like.

2 comments: