August 6, 2011

One Crappy Day

Yesterday was a shitty day. And not because of the weather - which sucked by the way - 10 degrees, rain and northerly winds. I had to turn on the GD fireplace. Yippee. No, it sucked for a number of reasons. I went to see my brother Paul in Hoyles – Escasoni which is normally not a bad thing. It once was, but I manage to muster up the courage once a week and go to see him. But yesterday he has agitated and it wasn’t a good visit. Throw in the fact that a patient had died the day before and staff and residents were in a down mood. The patient who died was two weeks older than me. I didn’t know her but I felt bad for her and her family. I’m hoping they somehow find peace in this – not that I’m an overly religious person – but perhaps she’s in a better place and not suffering any more.

Then I had a meeting with a former prof. He’s a wonderful man – a real gentlemen – who I had the honour of being in a couple of his classes as an undergraduate. I’m taking over some of his courses this fall and winter until he returns. I’m truly hoping that this is a temporary thing. He says he’ll be back and I don’t doubt him.

However, some good news when I got home. A friend in Calgary called to say he had landed a job he was hoping for. Another good guy – single dad of twins - who’s had to put up with so much since his divorce. (His roommate is now in jail and that's just the tip of the iceberg, believe it or not.) Throw in the fact that he wants me to visit next summer – free of charge – and it was a much needed shot in the arm.

Through this summer of discontent – it has been really bad even by our standards – my blog has suffered. Not because I haven’t tried to post, but I can’t write worth a shit. I have heard of writer’s block, but with so many things on my mind, I got nothing. I have tried to write a short story for the Tely’s Cuffer competition, but it’s not going well. 436 painful words so far. But my wife loves what I have written. A morbid tale, but that’s my style. And throw in the fact that I am scheduled for surgery this Tuesday and that pretty well sums up how this summer has gone.

But all things considered, I’m still on the right side of the turf with an amazing wife and kids. Man, she’s the best. How she puts up with me, I’ll never know. I should tell her more often how much she means to me, but she knows. Those subtle, unexpected hugs go a long way. And my cat still loves me. At least I think she does.

1 comment:

  1. i think we're all in the doldrums! Next week will be better. Finish the short story, take care re surgery, tell you wife what you think of her but no...your cat probably doesn't love you - lol! Take care.

    ReplyDelete