August 28, 2011

On This Day In Music History....

I got this here and found it to be an interesting musical tidbit. It was on this date in 1964 that The Beatles and Bob Dylan first met at least met and the Beatles had their first joint.

On the same day that the Beatles make their first appearance on the cover of Life Magazine, and just after finishing their set at New York's Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, the group is taken back to their suite at the city's Hotel Delmonico. Journalist Al Aronowitz arrives from Woodstock, NY with his friend Bob Dylan, and brings him up to the suite. John Lennon asks the folk singer what he'd like to drink, and Dylan replies simply, "cheap wine."

The Beatles offer Dylan their drug of choice, speed, but Al and Bob instead suggest marijuana, which the band had never tried. This shocks Dylan, who ventures that he always thought the band sang "I get high" in their song "I Wanna Hold Your Hand." John corrects him, telling him that the phrase is, in fact, "I can't hide."

John makes Ringo smoke the joint first, and eventually each member of the band gets his own private marijuana cigarette. Paul, in particular, is quite taken with the thoughts it produces, ordering Mal Evans to follow him around with a notepad and take down all his pronouncements.

So here's  I Wanna To Hold Your Hand. I'd post the video but because of copyright infringement.....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment