April 15, 2011

Tune In...Drop Out

As regular readers of this blog have noticed, I haven’t posted anything of substance in the past few weeks. And there are several reasons for this. The primary one is that I’m swamped with more important things - specifically work and family. This time of year is especially busy as exams are in full swing and marking – the only part of my job that I don’t enjoy – is taking up an inordinate amount of time. And truth be told, I’m tiring of blogs in general – mine included. Don’t get me wrong, there are many good blogs – both local and national that I follow – but I’m finding myself less interested and some blogs have become just plain tiresome. Same message day in and day out - I’m right, you’re wrong and here's why. So I just tune out. Much like the federal election campaign, which just reinforces this point in spades. Perhaps this is affecting the lack of effort and enthusiasm with my blog, as I don’t see them as being mutually exclusive.

I didn’t start my blog to change the world, nor do I view it as important – something that has to be part of my daily routine. It’s just a blog – no more, no less. I’m not sure where many people can fine the time for quality posts with so much going on in their lives. I really can’t do it. Well, maybe I could if my interest hadn’t waned.

And speaking of the federal election, I’m as much of a political junkie as anyone. But seriously, the overkill from the mainstream media has reached a saturation point. The partisan talking heads on the tube, in social media and on the web, are the main reasons people don’t give a shit about politics in general. And many wonder why people don’t vote. Sometimes less is more - particularly if the daily and incessant bombardment from all political parties and news media continues as is. And it’s only going to increase worsen as the election draws closer. When the attack ads, news coverage and political panels cause you to automatically shake your head, roll your eyes and reach for the remote or mouse, you know something is wrong.

Perhaps, I’m being a little too cynical, but it’s difficult to become engaged in the process and become easily disenfranchised – whether it’s a blog post or following a federal election - when both leave you uninspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment