However, I was shocked to see that a new housing development has encroached on one side of the trail to the point that one area has been clear cut leaving rocks and boulders bordering sections of the trail. There’s no buffer of woods – just ugly, grey rocks. These will soon be replaced with houses of course, but the houses will back directly onto the trail, almost to the pond really.
I have spoken out against this kind of development in Paradise for many years and have and written about it publicly. I was particularly vocal and critical during the last municipal election and was promised by candidates that things would change and the pace of development would slow down. So much for promises.
I fear that Neil’s Pond will become another Adam’s Pond or Brazil’s Pond, both of which are located in town and both of which are completely surrounded by high-density subdivisions. Both complete eyesores.
Today I will be contacting members of council and the mayor to ask why such a development was allowed to take place. I am willing to bet that this is the only section along the hundreds of miles of the East Coast Trail where trees are being clear cut for new housing developments. What our council won’t do for the almighty tax dollar.
I’ll keep you posted as to which councillors respond and what they say. I’ll also post some photos of the area.
Update #1 Councillor Dan Bobbett has contacted me regarding the trail. He said the it was put on land that the developer owned so there was little council could do. He says he’s as upset about it as other residents. I neglected to ask him if council could have rejected the developer’s proposal or failing that, expropriate that section of the land. It’s been done before in Paradise, just not to developers with deep pockets.
Also, one of our councillors must be vacationing in Edmonton. The hits from there are through the roof. More later.
Update #2 Councillors English, Laurie and Mayor Wiseman have also kindly responded. All state what Councillor Bobbett did, that the developer owns the land and the trail had to be moved. However, I still had some questions and posed them in my reply as stated below:
(via email)
Thanks for the update. Councillor Bobbett stated the same. One question I had however is why the development was allowed in the first place. Also, I understand that it's his land, but doesn’t council have a say in how it's classified e.g. low density, commercial, etc? Could they have rejected the application? Could expropriation of that parcel been an option?
I'm not familiar with the legal ins and outs, but were any of these options considered? Just thinking out loud here.
Update #3 Councillor Willis and the mayor replied (no word from Councillors Burton or Quilty) and it seems that expropriation was not an option due to cost. The mayor stated that the land couldn’t be rezoned and, if council were to try, public hearings would have to be held. Still unsure why this can’t happen for the land that is due to be destroyed for the new developments. As well, the town has a 30 metre buffer between houses and any ponds and streams. I’m fairly certain that the land has been cleared to less than 30 metres of the pond. (If not, it's very close.)
One thing that is apparent is that no matter who I talk to on council, it appears their collective hands are tied and many are frustrated. But with all due respect to those on council, it’s not very reassuring when it appears that landowners and developers can do as they please. This was a contentious issue during the last election campaign and changes were promised. Less development and more green space. And if members of council are frustrated, imagine how frustrated town residents are when they see green space disappearing and are powerless to stop it. If council can’t do anything, what chance does an ordinary citizen have? From what I’m gathering about this situation and the many others facing our town, people are fed up. I suspect, to enact any changes, residents will have to resort to the ballot box come next election.
Sounds like another case of short-sighted planning. Municipal governments are so fixated on the property tax revenue from housing developments that they fail to see the long-term consequences of all of these little boxes made of ticky-tacky.
ReplyDeleteIt's a shame what has happened to the town. I have lived here for nearly 25 years and I am disappointed with how things have changed. Traffic has become a real problem too.
ReplyDelete- Long Time Resident
Couldn’t agree more about the tax revenues VP. I’m been harping on that issue for quite some time. The lack of planning by this and other councils is mind-boggling. It’s a build, build, build attitude all in favour of the almighty tax dollar. A slash and burn economic approach to fiscal responsibility. When will they realize that a traffic light won’t solve all their problems?
ReplyDeleteI said as much last summer in a letter to the editor of the Tely last summer when the contentious issue of a fire hall was promised. I also mentioned it in an earlier post when the possibility of a plebiscite was bantered about.
As for the less than solid construction of the homes, you hit the nail on the head. Residents of Sunset Gardens have been complaining for the past two years about shotty workmanship – things like leaky windows and doors, squeaky floors, etc; it's only now that some concerns have been addresed.
P.S. I saw that you had an earlier comment on Dec. 24th that I somehow missed. I have now posted it. Sorry about that.
I saw that a couple days ago as I drove down Paradise Road to Topsail. I was horrified, as you were.
ReplyDeleteI love the Neil's pond trail. One can go for a nice walk and feel like you are miles away in the woods. The trees have a muffling effect on the city sounds. The birds chirp, the ducks follow you around looking for food, it's really one of the jewels of the Town.
I understand that development needs to take place. But to clear cut right to the fabulously built boardwalk... that's near criminal.
(One clarification - the part of the trail that rounds the pond by the new development is not part of the East Coast Trail, rather it is part of the Grand Concourse Authority. The part of the trail that was the old railbed is part of the T'Railway. ECT is along the ocean.)
You’re right Jay, it is the Grand Concourse Authority. I realized the error just after I posted.
ReplyDeleteI was speaking to a lady during my walk yesterday and she too was horrified at what had taken place. She said she was a life long resident who couldn’t understand how such a development was allowed to take place. She had no kind words for the council and the mayor in particular. She was even more upset at the developer who she knows personally. She said she would never buy a house from him – apparently a sentiment shared by many others.
From the lot map you posted, it certainly looks like there SHOULD have been a buffer space of trees left standing between the houses and the trail.
ReplyDeleteOver at the other end of the pond, on the rear of Croydon Street, is a perfect example. The houses are barely visible through the mature trees that were left standing when construction went through.
Perhaps Councillor Bobbett might let us know why a similar buffer space was not left in Karwood. And if it was SUPPOSED to have been done that way, how the developer is going to remediate the site.
According to the councillors who have responded - Bobbett, English, Laurie and Wiseman - all state that the trail encroaches on the developers land. However, as you stated, there was no reason given for not having (or negotiating) some buffer between the trail and the houses - much like the upper end of the pond.
ReplyDeleteI also asked each if council could use legal means to ensure some green space. I also asked why the develoment was permitted in the first place. I'm waiting to hear back.
Also, this is going to happen (if it hasn't already) on the Octagon Pond Trail. Part of the trail is on land owned by a developer and you guessed it, tress along that trail will be cut down as well.
I am not familiar with the legalities of the situation, same as you. However, it certainly seems a bit short sighted for the developer to blight such a jewel as the Neil's Pond Trail.
ReplyDeleteA thinking developer would do his utmost to keep it in good condition to use as a selling point.
I fear both Neil's Pond and Octagon Pond trails will soon resemble the trail around Quidi Vidi Lake.
"If the bird of Paradise wants to land in Paradise, he will soon have to bring his own branch." Don't recall who said that in the Telegram but it was darned appropriate.
Not sure who said that, but it does apply.
ReplyDeleteAs for Neil’s Pond and Octagon Pond, unless the council steps up, the writing may be on the wall. Sunset Gardens in the Karwood subdivision and Valley Ridge in by the town hall are scheduled to be joined. That’s a lot of trees that will disappear along Neil’s Pond. It’s doomed to have the same fate as Adam’s Pond and Brazil’s Pond – treeless and surrounded by houses.
Unfortunately, this seems to happen quite regularly in municipalities across the province. Clarenville has lost a number of trails or had them diverted for the same reason you describe in your posting. It's depressing! But what's great is when people voice their opposition. Until they do, it will be same old same old because it can be.
ReplyDeleteLisa
I agree that it’s happening in other towns across the province. One problem unique to Paradise is it’s rapid pace of development - “Fasting growing town in Atlantic Canada!” Not something to be proud of particularly when the growth comes with such a high cost.
ReplyDelete