December 31, 2010

An Open Letter To The Paradise Town Council

My last post dealt with the clear cutting of trees along a popular walking trail around Neil’s Pond, which is located within our town. I contacted all members of council to inquire as to why this was allowed to happen. Most replied and I updated the post on several occasions. Through email exchanges and one phone call, I found that the overwhelming sentiment expressed by councillors – like most people I have spoken with – is one of frustration. Judging by the traffic it generated, many others have a vested interest and are concerned with what is happening.

Below is an email I sent as a reply to Councillor Willis that pretty much sums up how I feel about the situation. He is also frustrated with what is happening with the trail, as he was one of the first to start its construction. While it was sent to him, I cold have copied all council members.

I agree that there are frustrations at both town hall and among town residents. Compounding these frustrations is the disconnect of how things are and how things appear to be. Council says it’s as frustrated as everyone with the trail along Neil's Pond but its hands are tied. The public views it as another example of council not doing its job. To be honest, I believe the truth lies somewhere in between.

If council can't stop or alter plans, what chance does an ordinary citizen have? If you speak to residents and undoubtedly you have, there is a feeling that things are not going as smoothly as planned. If anything, there is a feeling that things are going too fast. Problems with infrastructure and traffic are two examples of how rapid growth can be detrimental.

I have always maintained that politicians - whether federal, provincial or municipal - are judged on how things appear to be. Optics really. What people see or hear, whether right or wrong, goes a long way in influencing the attitudes of the electorate. So when people see trees being clear cut along Neil's Pond, they automatically point fingers.The arena is another example.

Tomorrow is the start of a new year. With it, my hope that things change for the better.

Here’s hoping that things do change for the better. I’m certain it will once council starts to say no.

2 comments:

  1. Hands may indeed be tied in this particular situation. What is needed is "looking forward". How is development going to affect our town 1, 3, 5, 10 years down the road. What can we do right now to untie the Council's hands in future situations like this?

    Can we examine how Octagon Pond will look in 10 years and make changes now to ensure proper greenspace remains? What happens when high-density development reaches the shores of Three Island Pond?

    These are things our Town Council should be planning for today, instead of wringing their hands when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent points Jay. One of the biggest issues for me and the one I was most vocal about during the last election was the rapid development and loss of green space. It actually started when land behind some homes was rezoned and a Lawton’s went up in some resident's backyard completely ruining their property and lowering property values. The Telegram did a story about it called “Paradise Lost”.

    But back to your point. The mayor has been pushing the town's highly touted 5 Five Strategic Plan, but it’s as condescending a piece of tripe as you’ll ever read. It touches on increasing green space but yet they are still clear-cutting around Neil’s Pond? All talk and no action. Besides, what good is a plan if your hands are tied?

    ReplyDelete