This blog is one year old today. I really can’t recall one particular reason as to why I started a blog – no hidden agendas, no plans for world domination, no political aspirations. I guess I could say it was just to see if I could, but that wouldn’t be entirely sincere. There had to be something else. Perhaps I did have aspirations of writing hard hitting political commentary, mixed in with a series of creative posts - short fiction or poetry - in hopes of expressing my creative me. Unfortunately, none have come to pass. I haven’t tried, to be honest. (I could say I wanted to discover my inner self, but even that makes my stomach queasy.)
And let’s be honest. When you post clips of YouTube as often as I do, you know you’re not in this to change the world. No, early on I realized that this was a lark not to be taken seriously - much like life I guess.
But I do like writing – as much of a bitch as it can be. As a quote, unquote “science guy”, I can write a fairly decent piece when I have time and put my mind to it. But therein lies the rub - finding time. Plus a lack of writing ability.
Looking back, two things do stick out when I recall the time I started this blog. One was that I used to comment on local stories – using my real name believe it or not – and was tried of the anonymous turds, who likely live in their parent's basement, making snide remarks about political figures or regular folk. No one is immune from their vile. You know the type - the 30 something who likely has never had a date and has a (signed) Star Trek poster on his bedroom wall. I always picture Comic Strip Guy from The Simpsons when I think of them. These are the yahoos who give a thumbs down to feel good stories or make disparaging remarks about anyone or anything. I hate those spineless pukes.
Notice I said used to comment. In the present political landscape in Newfoundland, it’s probably not a good idea to post anything that may be considered treacherous or lewd. Lord knows, I can’t afford a purple file, least it bite me in the ass down the road. And that’s a sad commentary unto itself.
The second thing is that I started the blog just after Mom died. I’m not sure what the correlation is, but it’s not unreasonable to assume that there’s a connection between the two.
So here I am, a year later, wondering aimlessly through the blogosphere. Maybe I’ll change direction and start posting some “creative” pieces, which is a daunting task. Just putting it out there. (Especially without an editor.) I usually run things by my better half, but when her response is, “Did you actually write that yourself?”, the confidence levels aren’t on bust and the ego takes a hit. And that’s just from inside my house. Maybe I’ll become a bit more political – purple files be dammed. Or maybe, I’ll stay the course, whatever that is….but hey, it’s my blog, my rules.
Love the blog. Keep it up.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I will try - although the direction my change.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Blogging takes some effort but I find it fairly therapeutic!
ReplyDeleteThanks. I agree, it can be a great place to let off some stream and clear your head. One of the best thing about blogging - no deadlines! :)
ReplyDeletePoetry?
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm not sure it would actually qualify as "poetry". I'm having a severe case of writer's block at the moment.
ReplyDeleteHere's what I mean:
There once was a man from Nantucket,
and I got nothing.