September 27, 2010

One Year Ago Today....

It’s difficult for me to believe, but it has been one year ago today since my Mom passed away. She was only 65 and it was unexpected. 65 is not considered old anymore – perhaps it was back in the day, but I have friends and family older than 65 who are quite active - travelling, working or both. And a few of my coworkers are senior citizens.

The loss was quite a shock for me and my family. Even though Mom’s health had been declining in recent years, she could still get out and about attending her beloved Bingo two or three times a week. Growing up our relationship was somewhat tenuous and we had our fair share of disagreements (probably because we were so much alike). However, as time passed and with the death of my Dad eight years ago, we became closer. I guess we both mellowed somewhat.

But what I found strange, especially just after she passed away, was that I used to pick up the phone and start dialing her number only to realize halfway through she wasn’t going to answer. I used to laugh it off, but it was difficult for me – reinforcing the fact she was gone.

Anyway Mom, if you’re reading this post (and undoubtedly correcting any grammatical errors), rest assured you are missed. And that I’m grateful for the time we had and that we settled our differences before you passed away – sometime I’m sure would make Dad smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment