March 12, 2010

Happy Birthday James Taylor.

I know, I know. You're thinkin' James Taylor? Who cares. But he is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And deservedly so. He has an extensive body of work dating back to the mid-sixties.

Granted, he's no hard core, long-haired heavy metal freak, but his music, as mellow as it is, has always been a favourite of mine. It's standard on my iPod. He's a talented singer and song writer and his talent as a guitar player is often overlooked.

Taylor was born on this day in 1948 in Boston. You can read more here. I'd link you to his website, but it's just too much JT (as much as I like him).

And an interesting tidbit about his song "Carolina in My Mind". The lyric "holy host of others standing around me" makes reference to the Beatles, as McCartney and an uncredited George Harrison appeared on the album.

Here he is with one of my favourites - "Fire and Rain", a song written about his experiences in psychiatric institutions, herion addiction and the suicide of his friend, Suzanne Schnerr.

No comments:

Post a Comment