January 3, 2010

Speling Misteaks

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m an atrocious speller. It’s pretty sad when you misspell a word and your word processor has no suggestions. Sadly, that happens all too often. (I’d be embarrassed to tell you how many tries it took to spell atrocious. And I just misspelled embarrassed.)

I could say that it’s a result of my dependence on word processors, poor tying skills, an inadequate school system and too much texting, but I’d be lying. I just suck at spelling. And to think I won a prize for spelling in grade six. Mom was so proud.

So when I came across this list of ten words we need to stop misspelling, I could empathise. To be truthful, I don’t normally misspell any of these words and it has more to do with grammar than (almost typed then) spelling. For example, mixing up words like your and you’re, their, there and they’re, effect and affect, it’s and its and so on.

I think bad grammar is a much bigger problem than poor spelling. Spelling mistakes can be fixed (almost) immediately. Bad grammar requires professional help. Or at the very least, slowing down when you type.

I once received the following that began: I am righting this memo to…

Ouch. Even I know that’s wrong.

P.S. Please feel free to point out any spelling or grammatical errors.

2 comments: