January 12, 2010

NL Bloggers Choice Awards: A Tongue-In-Cheek Look

The gauntlet has been dropped. The gloves are off. With rallying cries from Facebook and Twitter, it’s become a real donnybrook. Well, not really, but it seems that the competition for the NL Bloggers Choice Wars Awards, as friendly and good-natured it is, has started to heat up.

The first volley was fired from Karen Chappell over at Bitstop, with what I believe amounts to blogger bribery, when she posted her usual wonderful pictures of - candy. Candy Karen? You think you can buy us off with that? Actually, I’m certain you could. Ummm...candy.

John Gushue at Dot Dot Dot returned fire with a charming picture of himself as a toddler wearing a bow tie in a post acknowledging his dad’s birthday. How convenient. It was effective, but I don’t think he had to tweet “vote-for-me-and-nobody-gets-hurt”. By the way John, when can we expect those cheques you promised? (I guess we can always expect them.)

Barry Parsons at Rock Recipes pulled at our gastronomical heart stings with his usual great recipes and equally appetizing pictures. The way to a Newfoundlander and Labradorians heart (and vote) is through their stomach.

I sure hope there’s no truth to the rumour that George Murphy would personally pump gas to secure votes for his Gas and Oil blog. What’s next, a free caricature from John Andrews at Doodlepalooza? Free kayak ridesAnd I'm not even going to ask Charlie about his Hash.

All kidding aside, I think this is a great idea and based on the number of responses and media attention, an overwhelming success. What’s equally refreshing is the number of nice things people are saying in the comment section. I have yet to see a negative word posted. I think everyone deserves an award for that.

The blogs are truly an eclectic group of all things Newfoundland, Labrador and beyond. As a new kid on the NL blogosphere block, I’m glad I joined.

And kudos to Stephen for putting this together.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, great article! Hmmmm, what can I bribe you with today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Money always works! :)

    Good luck and keep up the great work. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not that kind of hash! Really, I swear! haha, good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I was disappointed! :)

    ReplyDelete