Over at Ramblings from Afar, Baygirl discusses her thoughts and feelings about the word newfie. In a well-written post, she describes her experiences of how her use and interpretation of the word – the dreaded “N” word - has changed, especially since she has moved to the mainland. It’s a good post, well worth a read.
Personally, I hate the word, in whatever context it is used. For me, it always had and will continue to have, negative connotations whether used by Newfoundlanders or mainlanders. While it’s unfair to label everyone who uses the word as bigoted or racist – I’m sure some who use it don’t know it’s considered by many to be offensive – it always strikes a nerve with me.
I guess it goes back to newfie jokes. While we are known for having a great sense of humour and yes, we can take a joke, some of those so-called harmless jokes are malicious, particularly when used by an “outsider”. They are not intended to be funny; they are intended to mock and degrade. And many who tell these “jokes” know exactly what they are doing.
This becomes evident once you leave the island and travel to the mainland. My first experience was years ago in Toronto when, at a wedding reception, someone started in on the jokes and negative stereotypes. Stupid newfie this, dumb newfie that. His view, and from what I can recall, the view of many at the reception, was that we were a bunch of uneducated, pokey drawing hicks who talked funny and staggered around drunk all day.
Of course, the Newfoundlanders present took offence, but we countered with – how can I put this – restrained dialogue. No punches were thrown, not the physical kind anyway. We did, however, mange to land some verbal haymakers and in the end, he did sheepishly shut up. (Mom always said I had a sharp tongue and sometimes it does come in handy.)
But what I really despise is one of our own playing the buffoon or "goofie newfie" on stage or television, reinforcing the stereotype that we are stupid, lazy drunkards. It drives me nuts.
Now some will say we should not take ourselves too seriously and it’s all good-natured fun. Perhaps. But there’s a fine line between being a comedian and being a punch line. And acting like an idiot while wearing a yellow sou’wester and playing an ugly stick only makes me cringe even more and deepens my hatred of the “N” word.
I am proud to say where I am from. We have a rich culture and storied past. We are, for the most part, looked upon favourably by most outside the province. We live in a beautiful place, unique for so many reasons. But I’m a Newfoundlander first and never a newfie.
Excellent post and while I can completely understand what you're saying here, I'm kinda on the other side of the fence. While there are many, many people in the world who hear the term Newfie and think 'stupid', there are an equal amount who hear it and think Kind, Caring and Compassionate.
ReplyDeleteYou see, I believe that we define the word. The word Newfie doesn't define us.
It's true Stephen, the word can, and is, used as a term of endearment (especially if we Newfoundlanders use it among ourselves). It’s just that my experiences have left me somewhat cynical and leaning toward the negative interpretation.
ReplyDeleteI may have become somewhat jaded, but if someone calls me a newfie they a) better be a close friend or relative b) come from here or c) have a good head start.
Great post. I think I stand somewhere in the middle of the two of you...I haven't yet developed a complete hatred of the term, nor do I look at it's usage as being all innocence and light anymore. Rather, as I said in my post, experiece has taught me to err on the side of caution before using it these days (which is a lot less than I did before)...
ReplyDelete