Greetings from Hay Bay Ontario, and a hale and hearty Happy New Year to you and yours. The way I discovered your blog was through visiting the clevelandbrownsweblog, and you beat me to Renfro 'ya bum! Seriously, always nice to meet a fellow displaced Brownies devotee. I lived in the "Best Location In The Nation" from 1955 to 1973, so I got to see some pretty incredible football growing up, including of course the GREAT Jim Brown...and although I can remember the insane joy of the 1964 championship, I also remember the MANY heartbreaking moments, and I have been STUPID enough to have made sure I was at many of the games over the last 50 years as I would ALWAYS make trips back to see playoff games. YES, I was about 100 feet away from the finish of the Elway/Denfuck ('scuse the language, but I just CAN'T say the name of THAT city in a normal way, ESPECIALLY since my brother unexpectantly died there back in '92) AFC Championship game. But listen, I have got alot of things to do today, including my "17 Superstitious Things To Do Before An Ohio State Rose Bowl Game", so I have a quick couple of questions for you: I have gone back in your blog a bit, and I was just wondering how you became a Browns fan; and the other thing I would be interested in reading would be a list of, and commentary about, favorite Newfoundland-based bloggers.
Greetings from Paradise DrBOP. And a happy new year to you.
To answer your first question, I've been a die-hard Browns fan since the late seventies when we first started getting US stations via cable. Up to that point, all we had were two local stations. But it was the Kardiac Kids and Brian Sipe that won me over.
While all my buddies cheered for the so-called glory teams like Pittsburgh and Dallas, I started rooting for my beloved Browns. A team with a storied past and hopefully bright future. And besides, you gotta love a team that has no decal on their helmets, no cheerleaders, plays on grass and has a Dawgpound. Loved Kosar too. Too bad he couldn’t run worth a damn.
But I’m with you on the heartbreak. I watched the interception by Sipe against Oakland, the drive and the fumble. And to this day, I f%#@ing hate Denver. And those three years without a team, weren’t much fun either.
Answering your second question may take a little longer so I’ll post on it later. The list on the right - blogs I browse - are some on my favourite sites but not all are Newfoundland blogs. If you scroll down, you’ll see the NL Blogroll. It’s a great site with links to a lot of local blogs. And starting today, it appears to include mine. :)
Thanks for the NL Blogroll tip...gotta pay better ATTENTION when I'm on this darn interweeb thingy...and CONGRATS on making the gig! I often think of the Kosar days myself, especially because it brought my brother and I together even thoegh we lived in different countries. And no matter the heartbreaks, they will ALWAYS be remembered fondly. One of the lessons of living in a city where Championship seasons were long ago, you start to cheer in a different way:i.e. hope for a good game/season where everybody tries their best, and you develop an attitude where being #1 isn't the end all and be all of life. Kinda sounds....CANADIAN, eh? (And I do think it accounts for the fact that more people follow the CFL in Cleveburg than in any other city that I have been to in the US. The Grey Cup game is a BIG moneymaker for the sports bars in the town). Lastly, one of my favorite memories of my first couple of years back in Canada (1974-74) was a crosscountry journey from Van to St. Johns, and visiting friends I had made earlier in the year from Harbour Grace back in Van. Friendliest folks I had EVER met, and part of the good times was a local unofficial Browns fan club that got together on Sundays to either watch the games, or listen to them over a Browns Radio Network relay station out of Boston. I'm not sure why, but Screech and the Brownies seem to go together real well!?!?! PS If your'e ever looking for sports over the net, check out channelsurfing.com. THE best site for reliability and breadth of what they stream, with REAL simple interfaces (for some of the games you have to download either a TVU set up, or a VEETLE set up....BOTH very safe, straightforward and effective). Because it is so dependable, I expect any day now that it will either disappear or stop working well...but I'm not paranoid....really. ENJOY!!!
Greetings from Hay Bay Ontario, and a hale and hearty Happy New Year to you and yours. The way I discovered your blog was through visiting the clevelandbrownsweblog, and you beat me to Renfro 'ya bum! Seriously, always nice to meet a fellow displaced Brownies devotee. I lived in the "Best Location In The Nation" from 1955 to 1973, so I got to see some pretty incredible football growing up, including of course the GREAT Jim Brown...and although I can remember the insane joy of the 1964 championship, I also remember the MANY heartbreaking moments, and I have been STUPID enough to have made sure I was at many of the games over the last 50 years as I would ALWAYS make trips back to see playoff games. YES, I was about 100 feet away from the finish of the Elway/Denfuck ('scuse the language, but I just CAN'T say the name of THAT city in a normal way, ESPECIALLY since my brother unexpectantly died there back in '92) AFC Championship game.
ReplyDeleteBut listen, I have got alot of things to do today, including my "17 Superstitious Things To Do Before An Ohio State Rose Bowl Game", so I have a quick couple of questions for you: I have gone back in your blog a bit, and I was just wondering how you became a Browns fan; and the other thing I would be interested in reading would be a list of, and commentary about, favorite Newfoundland-based bloggers.
Greetings from Paradise DrBOP. And a happy new year to you.
ReplyDeleteTo answer your first question, I've been a die-hard Browns fan since the late seventies when we first started getting US stations via cable. Up to that point, all we had were two local stations. But it was the Kardiac Kids and Brian Sipe that won me over.
While all my buddies cheered for the so-called glory teams like Pittsburgh and Dallas, I started rooting for my beloved Browns. A team with a storied past and hopefully bright future. And besides, you gotta love a team that has no decal on their helmets, no cheerleaders, plays on grass and has a Dawgpound. Loved Kosar too. Too bad he couldn’t run worth a damn.
But I’m with you on the heartbreak. I watched the interception by Sipe against Oakland, the drive and the fumble. And to this day, I f%#@ing hate Denver. And those three years without a team, weren’t much fun either.
Answering your second question may take a little longer so I’ll post on it later. The list on the right - blogs I browse - are some on my favourite sites but not all are Newfoundland blogs. If you scroll down, you’ll see the NL Blogroll. It’s a great site with links to a lot of local blogs. And starting today, it appears to include mine. :)
Thanks for the NL Blogroll tip...gotta pay better ATTENTION when I'm on this darn interweeb thingy...and CONGRATS on making the gig!
ReplyDeleteI often think of the Kosar days myself, especially because it brought my brother and I together even thoegh we lived in different countries. And no matter the heartbreaks, they will ALWAYS be remembered fondly. One of the lessons of living in a city where Championship seasons were long ago, you start to cheer in a different way:i.e. hope for a good game/season where everybody tries their best, and you develop an attitude where being #1 isn't the end all and be all of life. Kinda sounds....CANADIAN, eh? (And I do think it accounts for the fact that more people follow the CFL in Cleveburg than in any other city that I have been to in the US. The Grey Cup game is a BIG moneymaker for the sports bars in the town).
Lastly, one of my favorite memories of my first couple of years back in Canada (1974-74) was a crosscountry journey from Van to St. Johns, and visiting friends I had made earlier in the year from Harbour Grace back in Van. Friendliest folks I had EVER met, and part of the good times was a local unofficial Browns fan club that got together on Sundays to either watch the games, or listen to them over a Browns Radio Network relay station out of Boston. I'm not sure why, but Screech and the Brownies seem to go together real well!?!?!
PS If your'e ever looking for sports over the net, check out channelsurfing.com. THE best site for reliability and breadth of what they stream, with REAL simple interfaces (for some of the games you have to download either a TVU set up, or a VEETLE set up....BOTH very safe, straightforward and effective). Because it is so dependable, I expect any day now that it will either disappear or stop working well...but I'm not paranoid....really. ENJOY!!!
Oooops....sorry...it's channelsurfing.net.
ReplyDelete