Last week, I did something I had not done in a long time – twenty one years to be exact. I had a cold beer with my brother Paul. I have written about Paul on several occasions on this blog. In the early nineties he attempted suicide by trying to hang himself. No one saw it coming. As a result, he was left with permanent brain damage and for the past 14 years has been residing at Hoyles-Escasoni in St. John’s. He had spent several years living with my parents, but the toll was too much for them. Dad made the decision to put him there and as difficult as it was, he made the right call.
I have freely admitted that I did not visit Paul at the home for a long time as it was so painful, but several years back I mustered the courage and started to visit him on a weekly basis. Some visits are better than others, but all are good. I’ve even started to get to know some of the residents. (I think they like me because of the doughnuts and timbits I bring.)
Two weeks ago I asked Paul what he wanted me to bring on my next visit. Without hesitation, he said “beer”. I knew he used to drink Black Horse - although I don’t know why - so I said I’ll see what I can do. It’s difficult to describe how Paul really is. He has gross motor function and can walk for a few steps but his voice box has been damaged so talking is very difficult. His memory is okay but it’s hard to know what he’s really thinking. Does he know exactly what’s going on? I’m not sure.
Anyway, back to the beer. Last Friday was sunny and somewhat warm so I dropped into Brown’s Store on Torbay Road and picked up some Bud Light. No Black Horse in cans. I took Paul outside and snuck a cold beer from the car. We sat in the gazebo and I poured a beer into a cup for with. He needed a straw but he really seemed to enjoy the beer. I had one as well and it brought back a flood of memories. We used to do have a beer at friend’s parties and downtown all the time many years ago. While that won’t happen again, I’m grateful he’s still here and we can do it again. All in all, it was a great day.
Special moment time Chris. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear the visits continue.
ReplyDeleteThanks VP. Yes, I'm still going to see Paul on a weekly basis - it's not as hard now as the first few. But some visits are better than others. Yesterday's wasn't great as he seemed less engaged. Most times we'll sing a few tunes, but he wouldn't have anything to do with that yesterday. Not sure why.
ReplyDeleteHopefully, wext week will be better....Cheers.