It’s early on Saturday morning and I can’t sleep. I should be able to after a long week, but I can’t. And I’ve had more of those days (or nights) recently than I care to remember. At first blush, you’d think it’s a bad thing, but I have been able to use the early morning hours constructively. Although, blogging hasn’t been one of them. Not that posting is unto itself constructive mind you, but it can be somewhat therapeutic.
No, I’ve been busy. And I think that sometimes when we are busy, we tend to dwell on things that may keep us awake or preoccupied - for lack of a better word. How busy? Busier that a bayman with two wood stoves busy. Last weekend, I bought a new laptop. Well, my wife bought it for me. It’s still in the box on my office floor. It’s a top of the line something or other, so I’m told. I really should boot it up later today.
In other news, I’m lead to believe that I’ll soon be a published writer – not that I deserve it. I entered a provincial short story competition and while I won’t win, I was told that my story would be included in a soon to be published anthology. When I look at some of the names of the other writers – not that I consider myself a writer mind you – I’m honoured. And knowing that Wise Web Woman – now there’s a writer – over at The Other Side Of Sixty is on the list, I’m humbled. Check out her blog if you get a chance, it’s well worth the read. She’s a gifted writer, I’m just lucky.
Despite my lack of posts over the past few months, I have found that blog traffic is still strong, which is somewhat surprising. A big thanks to those who regularly drop by. Sorry for the lack of posts, but like I said….
I have still been perusing some of my favourite local blogs. Peter over at Polemic & Paradox recently posted a fine piece on the Black Dog and how metal health issues have affected him and his family over the years. It’s a powerful, courageous post. These issues are ones that no one is immune to but few openly talk about. I know first hand how devastating mental health issues can be and have posted about my brother Paul on numerous occasions. I have a cousin who took his own life and my dad – one of the strongest people I knew – was hospitalised for depression many years ago.
Speaking of Paul, I’m still dropping by to see him on a regular basis, despite my busy schedule. I’m lucky to have him as a brother. Anyway, time to get the paper – a Saturday morning ritual for me. Hope to post more soon
Thanks for the kind mention, my friend! No, I didn't make the short list. I had high hopes for a sci-fi story based in Newfoundland but it wasn't to be!
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoyed the wee bit of limelight that came your way and congratulations on your success!!
XO
WWW
Thanks WWW. I think I'll enter again next year…it is kind of neat to see my story (and name) published.
ReplyDeleteOf course, all I ever wanted to do was write and direct. This teaching racket is a temporary thing :)