After a ten year hiatus, VH1 has decided to do 60 episodes of its popular Pop-Up video series. It was hugely popular, being the highest rated show on VH1 before the series was cancelled in 2002. From Wiki,
Pop-Up Video was a VH1 television show that "popped up" bubbles — officially called "info nuggets" — containing trivia, witty witticisms and borderline sexual innuendos throughout music videos. The show was created by Woody Thompson and Tad Low and premiered October 27, 1996. For a time, it was the highest-rated program on VH1, though Behind the Music had overtaken it by 1998. It was produced by Spin the Bottle Inc..
Although VH1.com still listed Pop-Up Video in its programming roster, it has not aired regularly on the network since it was ended on August 8, 2002. Reruns of the series are currently viewable on a sporadic basis on sister network VH1 Classic, and individual videos can be seen on demand at the channel's Web site, Vh1 Classic.com. It used to run on Canada's MuchMusic and MuchMoreMusic. The show, until recently, aired nightly on VH1 Europe, but is currently run only on special occasions, such as Pop-Up Video weekends.
You can read more here about co-creator Woody Thompson's plans.
I have to admit, I did watch the show - corny as it may have been - or at least pause while channel surfing. Call it a guilty pleasure. And I'll likely watch the new shows too. Speaking of corny, just for old times sakes, here's a pop-up stable from Rick Astley. Where has the time gone?
I had forgotten about Pop Up Video...it was informative ;)
ReplyDeleteVery informative and funny too!
ReplyDeleteI fear that the new show will have videos of people and groups I have never heard of. Ugh. I must be getting old!
Chris
P.S. Having trouble with my Blogger account lately. Can’t seem to publish comments on my blog.