December 5, 2010

Christmas and Me

I have to admit, I’m not much of a Christmas person. I like the season, but it’s gotten far too commercial for me. Department stores playing Christmas songs in October can have that effect. And I’m not one for socializing a lot over the holidays, at least not like I did when I was younger – another night, another party. Those days (and nights) have long since passed. Friends are still welcome, but as my wife's grandmother used to say - while it's nice to see 'em come, it's nice to see 'em go. Today, I’m more content to chillax, read a good book or watch a movie. I don’t have to get up early which is a real bonus and I can nap during the day. And I don’t have to shave! All is right with the world.

Yesterday I did my first – and likely last – Christmassy thing when I hung up a string of lights. That’s it, one string of lights. Apparently, there’s talk of a tree and more decorations, but I’ll have to see :) The kids might have something to say about it.

Joking aside, I enjoy the break but I’m not too keen on the shopping, Christmas songs and endless holiday specials on TV. I’m all for good will toward men (and women), but shouldn’t that be a yearlong thing? And we should give to charities throughout the year. Less fortunate people have to eat and dress their kids all year – not just in late December.

Christmas is definitely not a religious holiday for me - don’t get me started on that star of Bethlehem thingy – but rather a time to eat, drink and sleep. A time of sloth if you will. Does that make me a grinch? Maybe. But I prefer to think of it as my time, when I can do as much or as little as I wish. It’s really a time for kids – no matter what our ages are.

No comments:

Post a Comment