Hmmm…I’ve been away for a while and things have certainly livened up in our corner of the blogosphere. Kudos to Stephen for updating and categorizing NL Blogroll. It was certainly missed while away, and a huge thanks for listing and maintaining our great assortment of blogs.
Meanwhile, an interesting debate is taking place at Peter Whittle’s blog, Polemic and Paradox about blogging or posting comments at work. I never do. Not because I’m fearful of any retributions, but work tends to get in the way. If I have time, I do like to read blogs – political and otherwise - at work just as I like to peruse local news sites like cbc.ca/nl and The Tely.
Brad Cabana’s blog Rock Solid Politics questions Wallace J. McLean’s (WJM) frequent use of government computers to post. Wally maintains the blog labrodore and speaks often (and quite well) on issues relating to that part of the province. He’s also one to readily question the government and former Premier Danny Williams in particular. Some people like it, others don’t. I agree with some things he says; disagree with others.
As for as using government computers at work, I could care less. It’s not a state secret that federal and provincial parties of all stripes post comments and manipulate polls. Just look at a VOCM online question of they day regarding Danny Williams or the provincial government. You have to take the results with a grain of salt. I really don't care who posts what from where unless they are personal attacks. IT'S LIKE THE GUY WHO TYPES EVERYTHING IN CAPITAL LETTERS. It's fucking annoying. Disagree yes, but do so with some civility.
I guess the one thing to be fearful of - if blogging or posting at work - is pissing off your boss! You never know when an innocuous comment or post will come back and bite you in the ass. That brings up a point about comments. If you post a comment, is it okay to use a pseudonym or should you only post using your real name? And, if you post anonymously, why so? But that’s a discussion for another day.
My problem with Wallace Maclean's "attacks" is that they are personal in nature, and almost always belittling. I am a taxpayer, and I find innapropriate use of government facilities offensive. Another large question might be what is the purpose of these actions? The Liberals are not even in government. I have not had any federal government people making offensive comments on my blog - I don't know if anyothers have. I have seen them trolling, and as far as I'm concerned if they watching it means they are interested in what the grass roots are saying - which should be a good thing. I object to the commenting which constantly seeks to undermine and diminish people's opinion. Is that the role of the Official Opposition in Ottawa? Is it something we want our governments to do? Where do we draw the line? In any case, Mr Maclean has been carrying on these actions for years now, and of course is well known for it among bloggers, and , apparently in certain media circles.
ReplyDeleteAs far as I'm concerned, and I know many others, what he does on his own time and computer is his business, mindful of course as to who he works for, but using our dollars to attack his own people is disgraceful. All the best for the season, Brad
Points taken. I agree that attacks – personal or otherwise - are distasteful and say more about the person attacking than the object of their scorn. I always equate it to a person who’s reduced to shouting when they have no valid argument or are on the losing end of a debate. And you’re right about people who attack and undermine credible arguments (and the right to state such arguments) just because they disagree with your opinion or happen to be on the opposite side of the political spectrum.
ReplyDeleteWhile I agree that some of Wally’s comments can be harsh, I don’t find them overly offensive – there is a lot worse being said on both the national and local scene. But I can certainly see your point. Sometimes bloggers with post a comment that leaves me shaking my head and asking WTF? How small are they? But I usually just let it go and take it for what it is. I guess one man’s troll, is another man’s hired help.
As for doing it on government time with government money that,unfortunately,happens whether you’re conservative or liberal, dipper or separatist.
Coincidently, I am planning on doing a post sometime over Christmas on “hateful” blogs, more specifically, hateful bloggers. But I think hateful may be too harsh a term. But it will deal with the nastiness that appears to be more prevalent in the blogosphere.
Thanks for the comment and the valid points you raised. All the best over the holidays.
The question of “hateful comments” is something that concerns me too. Several months ago, I offered a few comments on another Newfoundland blog and was immediately attacked by the blog author as a sycophant of Danny Williams. I can’t remember the issue now, but I happened to agree with the position taken by the Premier and said so; this guy went ballistic. I thought so much for free and reasoned discussion and removed his blog from my favourites list. Like you say in your title, it was “his blog and his rules”.
ReplyDeleteEveryone has a right to his/her opinion and the right to express it, but there’s a huge gap between hateful and thoughtful. I’ve seen people take some pretty extreme views on issues in the blogosphere, but they do it in such a way that no one is offended because it doesn’t become personal. They understand the principle of separating the issue from the individual. I guess that’s what we strive for and sometimes reach.
As for people blogging from work, I happen to work in an environment where I see an abuse of internet usage by some employees. I know in one case, a manager had to tell an employee that she had to stop doing her Christmas shopping online during work because she spent so much time talking to others about her purchases it was distracting. Same with blogging at work. I’m old fashioned enough to believe I’m being paid to do a job and that’s what I do while I’m “at work”. On a lunch break, I’ll sometimes web surf if I’m eating at my desk to check out news sites, etc but I wouldn’t actually write blog articles on the job. It’s my hobby and hobbies are for after work.
Merry Christmas!