June 3, 2010

An Imperfect Ending

I don’t normally watch much baseball or basketball for that matter, simply because they aren’t well...football – which I love. Go Browns.

However, the sports world is a buzz this morning with what transpired in Detroit last night in a game between the Tigers and Cleveland Indians.

Detroit pitcher Armando Galarraga was one out from a perfect game - a feat that has been accomplished only twenty times in major league history – amazing twice so far this year. On what should have been the games final out, first place umpire Jim Joyce called Indians runner Jason Donald safe when he was clearly out, ending the perfect game and no-hitter

26 up and 26 down and one blown call. Joyce admitted after the game that he blew the call saying, “I just cost the kid a perfect game.” He was sincere, but it was too little too late. With only 20 perfect games in the over 100-year history of the majors, you have to wonder if Galarraga will get another shot at perfection.

While I feel sorry Galarraga lost his bid for a no-no, I'm sure Joyce didn’t sleep well last night

Here’s what happened:

No comments:

Post a Comment