I’m taking my ball and I’m going home.
That seems to be Premier Williams’ reaction to reporters, private citizens and now the Mother Corp, if he doesn’t like what you say about him.
Danny is pissed at Bob Wakeham and the CBC – well Wakeham’s comments on the Premier’s martial status to be precise. To be honest, I could give a rat’s ass about Danny Williams’ martial situation. In small town Newfoundland, it’s common knowledge anyway and most people don’t give it a second thought.
The same can’t be said on his decision to have his heart surgery south of the border. I wish him well and as he said, “It’s my heart, my choice and my health”. I would have done the same - if I had the means to do so. However, I am not a millionaire. But I am not the Premier of the province either.
If Williams was a private citizen, no one would care where he went and what procedure he had done. But he isn’t a private citizen of course and isn’t afforded that luxury. Then questions seem to be: should he be given a pass – on this and other personal issues. What, if anything, is off limits? What, if anything, is sacrosanct? And, more importantly, who decides where that line is drawn? The media? The public? The eighth floor? That is a semingly endless and passionate debate.
Personally, I don't care about the personal life of Danny Williams or anyone else for that matter. Many feel the Premier's surgery, while a private matter, is open for debate and discussion since he is a public figure and his decision to go to the US is a reflection on healthcare in the provice. That's seems like a fair statement. But the debate will continue.
But after so many years in the spotlight, you’d think Williams would be used to such scrutiny by now and his skin would have grown a little thicker. But it seems it hasn’t. He admitted that the decision to go south would cause an uproar. (Now that’s the early contender for understatement of the year). He had to expect the firestorm and all its implications. But if an innocuous comment from Bob Wakeham causes a hissyfit, maybe it’s time for Williams to re-evaluate his priorities when it comes to dealing with the media. By now, he should realize it's never good to bite the hand the kneads you.
No comments:
Post a Comment