So how are those new years resolutions going? Or should I ask? Did you make a resolution to get in shape and lose a few pounds? Or has that promise gone the way of the Dodo? Many of us make resolutions to quit smoking and/or drinking, exercise more and eat better. However, after six weeks – which just happens to be around now – most people have hit the wall and have long forgotten their resolutions.
Health clubs, or as we used to call them, gyms see a big increase in memberships in early January but all report that most new members don’t make past six weeks. It’s pretty easy to get a treadmill at Nubodys now compared to early January.
While I don’t make any resolutions (I think they set you up for failure), I did start exercising again in December and I’m happy to report that I’ve stuck with it. I’ve taken a real scientific approach – I eat right and exercise. Groundbreaking stuff. I may apply for a patent.
I haven’t lost much weight; it’s not my goal. I usually lift weights and go easy on the cardio at first and increase the cardio once the weather improves. While my weight is about the same, I have toned up. My girlfriend has noticed a big difference, but not my wife. Kidding, kidding. Like my wife is going to read my blog.
Exercise has so many benefits – jeez, I sound like a politician stating the obvious. But it’s true. And not only physical benefits but psychological ones as well - especially in the dreary months of winter. Just think of the money you’re saving on antidepressants alone. And if you’re like me and have cut down on your alcohol intake, you can problay afford that trip down south at Easter. Yes, exercise is good for so many reasons.
One of the things that grinds my gears (if I can borrow from Peter Griffin) is the cost of eating healthy. The price of food in this province is out to lunch. Things like fresh fruit, fish, milk, eggs - even a good salad - cost an arm and a leg. Throw in protein shakes and you can forget about that trip down south. I guess we have to bite the bullet. But when you think about it, a meal at Rottin Ronnies is no bargain either.
So with Lent starting on Wednesday, perhaps you can give up something – if you’re into that religious, God thingy. Just don’t give up the exercise.
No comments:
Post a Comment