November 8, 2009

Sundays are for one thing only....Football

Yeah, I know what you're thinkin' - not another sports blog. Not that's there anyhing wrong with sports blogs.

Well its not. It's Sunday and I love the NFL (CFL - not so much). I’m a die-hard Cleveland Browns fan and for those who follow football, you're asking yourself, "What the fuck?"

Someone recently asked me why I cheer for the 1-7 Browns. You know the team that can't score an offensive touchdown, has a storied past but a miserable present (and likely future for a couple of years anyway). A team who best player is a punt returner. A team whose coach is more despised than Ralph Wiseman. And a team that - in a nationally televised game next Monday night - will have its fans boycott the opening kickoff. There's a reason they call Cleveland the "Mistake by the Lake".

But to answer the question as to why cheer for such a bad team - well I'm still working on it. However, ESPN's life long Browns fan, Geoff LaTulippe, offers some insight into the hard-luck life of a Browns fan.

For me the heartbreak began on January 4, 1981 and a 14-12 playoff loss to the Raiders with an interception in the endzone. Before the drive or the fumble. Just kick the fucking field goal! Oakland vs. Cleveland.

Excuse me now, while I cry in my beer and stare at the Bernie Kosar poster on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment