November 14, 2009

Anonymity: Liquid Courage of the Internet

In today’s Telegram, Russell Wangersky weighs in on the online comments section and how they have become nothing more than places to anonymously sling mud. He has a point. He also gives a few examples of some of the “insightful” comments posted during the last week.

I suggested that the Telegram stop posting anonymous comments. Now some will argue that this is censorship, but I would have to disagree. Omitting an anonymous comment – inflammatory or not – is not censorship. Deciding which to include or exclude is. For online publications, I think the easiest solution is to simply exclude posts without real names.

Geoff Meeker touched on anonymous comments a few weeks ago. He argues that people should take responsibly for what they write. I agree.

But I think the rules differ between blogs and other mainstream media that publish on line such as newspapers, magazines, etc; I’m certainly no Telegram or New York Times.

I thought about this for the comment section for this blog. All comments – including anonymous ones - will be considered as long as they are not libellous or involve personal attacks. Some may call this censorship since I get to decide, but hey, my blog, my rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment